Pages

Ideas on How to Furnish a Small Apartment


By

When I first moved from home and had my own apartment it was quite difficult to decorate it. Every room in the place was quite small. I had my work cut out for me. I decided to search online and sue enough I found some cool ideas to solve my problem.

One of the best ideas was to shop at a Children's Furniture Store. On my first visit there one Sunday morning I cam across the most beautiful bedroom furniture. It was so beautiful and stunning, I decided to use it for my dining room instead. The dresser made a unique looking buffet. I had removed the mirror of course, but was able to use it on the far wall instead. Made sense.

My living room posed another challenge, never fails, the furniture I really liked was way too large. I was forced to make a decision so I just kept looking. I eventually found a sofa that I liked and decided on having only one end table. I found a lovely coffee table that actually had a storage area. Its most unique function, however, is that you can even play checkers on the top of it! I began to appreciate multi-purpose furniture! Even my original ottoman from my parents' home turned out to be a great place to store stuff.

Keep your furniture choices small. Choose mirrors to decorate wherever possible. Nothing will make your room larger than a nice collection of mirrors throughout your home.

If you have an office, choose a small affordable computer desk for your office. You should be able to get an attractive one with just the space you need to avoid clutter. Larger desks have a tendency to hold lots of clutter. In fact, a compact computer desk positioned in a corner of your room would be ideal. It can be kept out of the way.

As far as your kitchen, dining room and maybe even bathroom are concerned, take a good hard look at bar stools! That's right -- you read it correctly -- bar stools! They will indeed save you so much space in your home. They will not only make your room look bigger, they will add a certain ambience. They are a fun way to give character to your room.

Sure small areas can be quite challenging when you are trying to decorate, but it can be done that's for sure. Hope the above ideas are a help to you. You just may end up loving your small cozy apartment and be satisfied with it instead of paying more money for a much larger place. Time will tell. In the meantime, have fun decorating your small abode!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Justine_Jordan